Can You Feel the Heat?
A heatwave is making it's way through most of West Virginia today, and while we all enjoy the nice warm summer days, this heatwave is far from enjoyable. Some key tips to remember when you see a heatwave on the weather forecast:
1. Drink before you realize you're thirsty. If you have reached the point of being thirsty, you are probably already dehydrated.
2. Stay inside in the air conditioning if possible.
3. Keep outdoor activities to the early morning and evening. The hottest time of day is typically between 11 A.M. and 2 P.M, and is not the ideal time to do outdoor activities.
4. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated/sugary drinks. These do not hydrate you and instead can cause you to dehydrate quicker.
5. If you notice you are getting dizzy and lightheaded, sit down inside and sip on cool water. If your condition does not get better or worsens, seek professional medical assistance.
Stay safe today West Virginia!